Thursday, March 1, 2012

Carnaval at Penonomé!

Our tropical biology course is now over, but two weekends back our TA negotiated giving us Saturday off so we could have more time to participate in Carnaval! Saturday morning, we stopped at a Sears-like 3-story supermarket. We were supposed to buy beds to sleep in because we weren't sure about the nature of our sleeping situation for the night, but instead we simply bought drinks and snacks. Here is an excerpt of an email about the experience that I sent to my eating club: "I was searching for champagne with the one other chick in the group who also speaks next to no Spanish, and we knew we were in the right place because we'd found sparkling cider and sparkling wine, but so far no champagne.

"Then, as I was scanning the bottom shelf at the end of an aisle, I spotted the word 'ANDRE.' The relief I felt was like seeing an old friend while on a hunt for the correct train in the subway station of an unfamiliar city; my dear friend Andre appeared unexpectedly and showed me exactly where to find the champagne we so desperately craved. We purchased a bottle for his troubles, plus a bottle of strawberry champagne from another company."

Next, we went to a lovely semi-natural pool. DM and I explored the creek aways downriver before returning to swim and take some great pictures with the group. Later, we went to a beach where we rented a little thatched roof that had 2 hammocks underneath. I read a little bit more of Absolute Beginners until a resort-promoting man came by and I eventually left. He decided I looked "smart and serious," which seems to be the only opinion of me a Panamanian ever offers! In this case, I think I looked so because I was focusing on trying to understand what he was saying in Spanish without participating too much in the conversation.

Later, we had dinner at some place in Penonomé that JL highly recommended, and I ate garlic chicken. I'm trying to eat as much garlic as possible, operating under the unproven theory that mosquitos will stay away if I build up enough garlic in my system. Later, we went to an eight-dollar outdoor concert. We had beds to sleep in, albeit only 2 for 5 girls!

The next morning we re-donned our almost-dry bathing suits and headed to Carnaval. The line was long and culminated in a thorough search of our persons for weapons, but admission was free and the streets were packed. On the Sunday of carnaval in Panamá, people throw water on anyone they see outside. If you find yourself drying off and want water thrown at you, raise your arms and shout "A-gua! A-gua!" I really enjoyed the music and joy of everyone around. Although if we'd been in Panama City for Carnaval, it would have been a disaster since we had enough trouble sticking together in that crowd as it was! At home, we returned to our projects in earnest. 

LC, me, and YL are soaked and happy at Carnaval!

No comments:

Post a Comment